There are as many as three million animal bites in the United States each year with dogs responsible for up to 90%. Bites occur most frequently on the fingers of the dominant hand of children. The major concern of all bite wounds is infection. In the United States, about 1% of dog bites and 6% of cat bites require hospitalization. Infections occur more frequently in cat bites because cats have extremely sharp, pointed teeth that can cause deep puncture wounds. Because most pets in the United States are vaccinated, most cases of rabies result from the bite of a wild animal, not a domesticated pet. Report animal bites to your public health department. Human bite wounds may not seem dangerous, but the risk of infection is high. These wounds contain very high levels of bacteria. A human bite wound can be caused directly – a child bites another child – or indirectly – a hand strikes a tooth, breaking the skin on the hand. Even though the wound may appear minor, an infection can lead to a severe joint infection. About one third of all hand infections are caused by human bite wounds. What to do after an incident:
- Apply firm, direct pressure with sterile gauze or clean cloth until bleeding stops.
- Cleanse the bite wound thoroughly with mild soap and water. Rinse for several minutes under running water.
- Apply antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
- Watch for signs of infection such as redness, pain, swelling, or pus. If you see them, get medical help right away.
- Be sure the child has an updated tetanus vaccination
- large mixing bowl
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of cooking oil (we used Canola)
- 1 1/2 cups of salt
- food coloring (we used red and blue to make purple)
DID YOU KNOW? Childcare is available at Rejuv Medical!
- Child Care may be utilize for Gym, Clinic, PT, Esthetic appointment needs and more!
- Educational videos may play on a monitor for enjoyment.
- Safety, comfort and a positive environment is our mission!
Jump Start Your Summer!
Get a full month of training, boot camps, studio classes, a food journal, and meet with our Registered Dietitian. All for 50% off!
Pick 2 of the following treatments, and receive 20% off!
- Eyelash Extensions
- Rejuvenating Peel
- Fire and Ice
- Full Leg and Bikini Wax
- 1 treatment area of Dysport