BioSCORE / BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis) / Metabolic Testing
BioSCORE, BIAs & Metabolic Testing are crucial pieces used in determining your:
- Overall health, lifestyle and fitness levels.
- Body composition and measurement of body fat in relation to lean body mass.
- Optimal caloric intake for achieving your weight loss goals.
- Number of calories burned during a workout session.
- Caloric intake range needed to maintain your weight once you’ve reached your weight loss goals.
What Is a BioSCORE Test?
A BioSCORE fitness test looks at your current health, lifestyle and fitness level and helps determine the areas of improvement needed to improve your health, quality of living and overall life expectancy.
Your BioSCORE appointment consists of measurements/calculations of:
- Height / Weight
- Blood Pressure
- Waist Circumference Measurement
- Total Cholesterol
- TC / HDL Ratio
When preparing for your BioSCORE test, please fast for 9-12 hours prior to your appointment. This means no food, water is fine. We recommend a morning appointment to make the fasting process easier and more comfortable.
What Is a Metabolic Test?
A Metabolic Test will determine the following:
- The exact calories you should consume in order to achieve weight loss.
- An exact measurement of calories that are burned during 30 minutes of physical exercise.
- A targeted caloric intake number to maintain your weight.
What to expect at your Metabolic Testing Appointment:
- You will be invited to sit or recline in a comfortable position while a nose clip is placed on your nose.
- You will be given a MetaBreather mouth piece to breathe into. You’ll breathe in fresh air from the room, but the gas that you breathe out will go through a tube into a metabolic analyzer to measure your metabolic rate.
- Relax! After about 10 minutes the device will beep, indicating it is finished.
When preparing for your Metabolic test, arrive at your appointment 15 minutes early and be prepared to rest. No exercise or food 4 hours prior to your appointment, which includes no stimulants such as coffee and cold medications. Prescription medications should be taken according to your schedule.
BIA (Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis) Test
BIA testing is a method of assessing your body composition, the measurement of body fat in relation to lean body mass. It is an integral part of a health and nutrition assessment. Research has shown that body composition is directly related to health.
What to expect at your BIA Appointment:
- Removal of any magnetic jewelry, therapeutic magnets, communication devices and cell phone.
- Removal of any objects from your wrist and hand.
- Removal of right shoe and sock or nylon stocking.
When preparing for you BIA test, stay away from exercise or sauna for 8 hours prior to your appointment. No alcohol 12 hours prior to your appointment.
Note: The FDA has not cleared the BIA for patients who are pregnant or have an implanted electronic medical device (ex., pacemaker, implanted muscle stimulator). You MUST notify your technician of any of these conditions.